LCA/ Environmental Sustainability Specialist
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Area of expertise
Are you an LCA expert who is passionate about environmental sustainability and looking to make a meaningful impact in real business operations?
Objective of this role
Join us at Blue Phoenix Group (BPG) as an LCA Specialist and help drive sustainability initiatives that matter. In this role, you carry out the LCA assessment for various materials recovered and reprocessed from the incinerator bottom ashes (IBA) and build up the environmental product declaration together with the Sustainability team. You use your expertise in Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) to provide valuable insights to technical, business development, and marketing teams. Additionally, you play a role in supporting BPG to implement sustainability actions, helping us to be sustainable in the long term.
- Carry out LCA analyses of various materials recovered from IBA. This year, the priorities are for minerals and aggregates.
- Analyse changes designed to improve the environmental performance of IBA materials in complex systems aiming to avoid unintended negative consequences.
- Build and maintain databases of information about energy alternatives, pollutants, natural environments, industrial processes, and other information related to ecological change and supply chain improvements.
- Contribute to achieving BPG's sustainability goals by providing LCA expertise to various material performance projects.
- Collaborate closely with the regional Technical and Operational teams to collect data and assess environmental impacts of IBA materials.
- Work across regions and business entities with a team of over 30+ highly skilled professionals in Sustainability, Technical, Operations, and Business Management.
- Be a part of the BPG's Group Sustainability team and collaborate with our business partners along the value chains for data collection, value chain sharing, and impact improvements.
- Learn and grow alongside the Group Sustainability Manager, sustainability advisors, engineers, and technical experts.
- Enhance your technical skills and project management capabilities.
- Embrace a hybrid work environment, offering flexibility to work from home and in the headquarters office (Rotterdam).
In this position, you will report directly to the Group Sustainability Manager.
Required qualifications, skills & competencies
- Experience in environmental sustainability, including LCA, Eco-design, and Circular Economy, preferably in the manufacturing or tech industry.
- At least two years of experience conducting and reviewing LCAs, utilizing advanced LCA tools (e.g., Simapro). A track record in complex LCAs for the manufacturing/tech industry is a plus.
- Skills to analyze, evaluate, and synthesize information from various sources and perspectives. You should be able to identify and question the assumptions, biases, and values that underlie LCA studies, compare different methods and approaches, and draw logical and valid conclusions from the evidence.
- A master’s degree in environmental science/technology or chemical engineering, or a related field focusing on materials recycling and circularity.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, deadlines, and resources within various LCA projects. You should also be able to adapt to changes, solve problems, and handle risks and issues that may arise during the project implementation.
- Ability to translate complex LCA data and results into meaningful insights and recommendations. With the help of the Group Sustainability Manager, we tailor messages to the needs and expectations of our stakeholders and use appropriate language to support our findings and arguments.
- Skills to work productively with others in a team environment.
- Proactive, self-motivated, and highly professional driven.
- Good professional communication skills in English.
- Proficient in Excel, PPT, visual aids, and other supporting tools to present LCA results.
- Skills to keep up with the latest developments and trends in LCA and sustainability. You should be able to identify your strengths and weaknesses, set your learning goals and objectives, seek and use feedback, and be keen on professional growth.
You will be part of a motivated team with an informal culture
You will travel between different offices within Blue Phoenix
An attractive 13th month, laptop, and phone
Vacation pay 8% of gross annual salary
Vacation days 26
Room for development and training
Type of employment: Full-time, Physical
Secondary employment conditions
Various options for mobility matters
Good pension scheme
If you're interested in this role and have many, but not all, of the experiences needed, we encourage you to apply. Applications can be submitted through the link on the site or by sending your CV and application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline of application: 15 February 2024
Start date by mutual agreement but preferably by May 1, 2024.
About Blue Phoenix Group
Blue Phoenix Group is an industry leader in the processing of bottom ash from municipal waste incinerators (IBA). The IBA comes from Waste-to-Energy plants that burn waste to produce electricity and heating. After the incineration process, bottom ash remains. This bottom ash contains valuable materials such as metals and minerals that can be recovered and returned to the economy. We play a crucial role in the circular economy, which is necessary for the ecological transition to a more sustainable future, by reducing landfill and dependence on primary materials.
We are a young, dynamic organization operating on four continents. As a Group, we strive not only to continuously contribute to the circular economy, but also to reduce the climate impact of our operations while ensuring a safe and healthy workplace for our employees. We are looking for an individual who will contribute to our mission of building a sustainable future.